[LINK] US going digital TV in 2009

Peter Batchelor peter at batchelors.net
Mon Mar 5 08:43:56 AEDT 2007

At 06:47 PM 4/03/2007, Craig Sanders wrote:
>manufacturers often dont like to make it easy for potential customers to
>directly compare their various models. fortunately, someone else has
>done so:
>
>http://members.optusnet.com.au/~toppytools/compare.html
>

>see also the FAQ:
>
>http://www.topfield.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6107

The Topfield forum above was invaluable when I was working out which
Toppfield pvr to buy.
It also has fantastic information on the various software extensions
(TAPs) that have been made for them by various enthusiasts around the world.
The one I find most useful is a tool that allows you to use a
computer to download the week's program guide to the Topfield, and
automatically record your nominated favourites. This is a great way
of not missing out on episodes of shows that get moved around at whim.

Recording for watching later is useful, but more useful is the
ability to pause, or go back up to an hour on the channel you've been
watching and record from that point. We tend to not watch programs
from the commercial channels in real time any more. We record them,
or start watching 10 minutes late, and jump through the ad breaks.
I'm sure that this is why there are more ads for other programmes
appearing at the bottom of the screen during a programme, rather than
in the ad breaks.  How long before we start seeing product
commercials across the bottom of the screen during programmes?

USB is OK for transferring files, but some people have added external
caddies to the PVR and a computer so that they can swap out hard
drives and transfer files at a more respectable speed. I think I'll
wait until my warranty is up before I do this :-)

Peter