[Aqualist] EGU session on Southern Hemisphere climate modes (deadline Thursday!)

Zoe Thomas z.thomas at unsw.edu.au
Wed Jan 9 04:26:48 AEDT 2019

Dear AQUA community,

Amid the cacophony of calls for INQUA abstracts I'd like to highlight the EGU deadline on 10 January (1pm CET), or 10pm AEST.

We'd like to invite you to submit an abstract to the session on "Changing climate modes across the mid to high latitudes of the Southern Hemisphere".
Convenors: Zoë Thomas, Elizabeth Thomas, Chris Turney, and Jonathan Palmer

Session description:
A key problem for reducing the uncertainty in future climate projections is that historical records of change are too short to test the skill of climate models, raising concerns over our ability to successfully plan for future change. Unfortunately, high interannual variability and a dearth of instrumental observations before the 1950s limits our understanding of how marine–atmosphere–ice domains interact on multi-decadal timescales and the impact of anthropogenic forcing. The situation is exacerbated across the mid to high-latitudes of the Southern Hemisphere where a large number of climate modes of variability operate, many of global significance. This session aims to bring a long-term perspective to the understanding of large-scale modes of climate variability in the mid to high latitudes of the Southern Hemisphere. The session will focus on key modes of variability, including the Southern Annular Mode (SAM), the Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation (IPO), and the Amundsen Sea Low (ASL), as well as teleconnections with tropical modes of variability including the El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO). We invite presentations that have developed natural archive reconstructions of climate modes over the last 15,000 years that capture inter-annual to multi-millennial variability, and explore impacts across the Southern Hemisphere and globally. We particularly welcome model-data comparisons, and proxy system modelling, and reconstructions from Antarctica and the Southern Ocean.

Please visit the EGU 2019 website <https://www.egu2019.eu/> for more info.

Hope to see you in Vienna!

Best Wishes,

Zoë

(Apologies for cross posting)

[University of New South Wales]<https://htmlsig.com/t/000001CX2ZFF>

[Twitter] <https://htmlsig.com/t/000001CT5JY7>  [LinkedIn]  <https://htmlsig.com/t/000001CR0BX5>  [Instagram]  <https://htmlsig.com/t/000001CW2ET8>  [Youtube]  <https://htmlsig.com/t/000001CN9SXR>
        [https://s3.amazonaws.com/htmlsig-assets/spacer.gif]

Dr Zoë Thomas | Research Associate
z.thomas at unsw.edu.au<mailto:z.thomas at unsw.edu.au>

University of New South Wales
ARC Centre of Excellence for Australian Biodiversity and Heritage (CABAH)
Palaeontology, Geobiology and Earth Archives Research Centre (PANGEA) Climate Change Research Centre (CCRC)
http://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/zoe-thomas

[https://htmlsigs.s3.amazonaws.com/banners/files/000/172/788/medium/CABAH_intrepid_science_banner_2_copy.jpg]<http://www.intrepidscience.com/>