[LINK] Identity theft virus infects 10,000 computers

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun Aug 13 10:26:46 AEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 08:41 +1000, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 06:07 AM 13/08/2006, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> >I just thought of something in this regard. How would one hold the
> often multipleand disconnected creators of a FOSS product to account
> for their security blunders?
> >It is easy enough to target and take action against a particular
> software company. Much harder to target individuals across multiple
> jurisdictions in multiple countries.
>
> You just identified one of the arguments that corporate suits have
> made whenever open source or even Linux alone has been considered for
> enterprise application. Who will we sue if it doesn't work or screws
> up our business?

Currently you can't sue anyone anyway. If Microsoft's incompetence
toasts your data, there is noone to sue - read the EULA. You only get to
sue someone if you commissioned the work; and even then the contract is
probably so EULA-like as to preclude much chance for litigation. It
would have to be some kind of unforeseen problem that one or the other
party *should* have foreseen.

Here as in the US there is also a big difference between being damaged
by something you paid money for and being damaged by something you got
for free.

Regards, K.