[LINK] reporting potential illegal activity on the internet

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Aug 18 09:53:31 AEST 2006

At 09:10 AM 18/08/2006, Kim Holburn wrote:
>Don't the AFP have a high-tech crime unit?

Yep, tried that. Thought it would be the right place. but no. They refer
elsewhere. Thanks for the thought, Kim and Howard.

I've sent an email to the two relevant ministers, Ellison as he has money
laundering, and Coonan as she has ACMA. It will be interesting if I get a
similar suggestion from them. It was unusable for reporting anything.

 From Geoff:
> From this you will find.
>
>*Reporting Internet scams*
>If you have suffered financial loss from an Internet scam, please see
>Fraud - auction site, online or credit card for more information about how
>to report the incident.
>http://www.ahtcc.gov.au/about_high_tech_crime/types_of_crime/online_fraud
>
>If you have not suffered a financial loss the Australian Competition and
>Consumer Commission (ACCC) 'slam a cyberscam' page is the appropriate
>place to report the incident.
>http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/393952

Yep, went there. They referred elsewhere. I haven't suffered anything
because I'm not going to sign up to be a money launderer!

To the person who wrote personally to send it to press contacts, gee
thanks!  But it's not a bad idea.

I'll have a look at AUSCERT.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed, there is
no plant.' - JW, April 2005