[LINK] Yearly Predictions

Carl Makin carl at xena.IPAustralia.gov.au
Fri Dec 8 10:15:13 AEDT 2006

On 07/12/2006, at 10:38 AM, Glen Turner wrote:

> The contribution of computers and networks to electricity demand
> will be strongly questioned.  Why do I need to run a computer
> to charge my iPod?

You don't.  I charge my 4G iPod from both the car and the dock I have
attached to the loungeroom stereo which has the firewire cable
plugged into a powerpack.  I only attach my iPod to the computer once
a month or so to fiddle with playlists or whenever I need it for
transferring data.  It's never attached long enough to get a full
charge.

The newer USB iPods can all be charged from anything that will supply
power to a USB port which I think (but haven't checked) would include
one of those powered USB hubs, even when not attached to a computer.

Carl.