[LINK] Triple Oh calls :)

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Tue Nov 28 11:57:44 AEDT 2006

At 08:43 AM 28/11/2006, Martin Barry wrote:
>$quoted_author = "Adam Todd" ;
> >
> > Just wondering if anyone knows anything about 000 calls.
> >
> > How they are answered, routed and recorded.
> >
> > Who answers them, who answers the transfers.
>
>In the first instance they are answered by a 000 call centre. This used to
>be run by Telstra, don't know if it still is.

According to AMCA who aren't "sure" but "think";  this is correct.

>They are then routed to the appropriate service in the appropriate state.

According to ACMA who aren't "sure" but "think"; this is correct.

> > Who holds the recordings.
>
>There is a recording of the initial 000 call centre handling to ensure
>review of the redirection taking place.

Ok so this would be with Telstra, and probably really only records "Triple
oh emergency, do you require police fire or ambulance?  What state?" and
that's it.

>Then there is recording at the terminating call centre for the rest of the
>call.

Yes that makes sense to me.  But we're being given the impression that
these recordings are not locatable after 12 months.

> > Where the recordings end up.  How long they are kept.
>
>Not sure where they are archived. Stored for statute of limitations period
>and probably longer.

12 months isn't either of these in that case.  Statute on Crime varies from
6 months to unlimited (for murder) if they dispose of a 000 call after 12
months and then discover it was a murder -- well their evidence is gone.

So I do not believe that the recording of calls are not able to located.

Civil proceedings are 3 years.  Statute always required X years plus 1,
because a proceeding may be commenced on the last day of statute and
evidence needs to be preserved for a year after that.

Hence, eg. Tax records need to be kept for 7 years, but the Statute for
prosecution is only 6 years.  6+1 = 7.

You are guilty of description of evidence if you destroy your tax records
prior to seven years.

> > I have lots of conflicting information from every part of the process
> > including ACMA and material I obtained under subpoena today.
> >
> > I figure if "they" don't know.  Maybe someone else does.
>
>All the above information was gleaned in a visit to the Ambo call centre in
>Charlestown, NSW just before they moved into it in 1998.

Yes well, it's starting to look like each department plays by it's own rules!

No doubt my father will be pleased.