[LINK] Open Data Models

brd at iimetro.com.au brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Sep 18 10:10:49 AEST 2006

Quoting Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita at ramin.com.au>:

> ...not sure if this is relevant, but someone remarked to me recently,
> that they spent several years working on EFTPOS standards some years ago
> with little to show for it...so maybe the problem is open standards
> rather than open source.
>
> ...the interesting issue here is whether it is the banks or vendors
> that control them...

Where this is becoming important is in the move towards Service
Oriented Architecture (SOA), Web Services and ebusiness.

When companies increase the integration of their suppliers and
customers into their systems (business and IT) and to internally
reorganise into service oriented enterprises, supported by SOA
systems, it is essential that everyone uses standards for data,
at the taxonomic, syntactic and semantic levels.

In the insurance world ACORD <http://www.acord.org/> is the big player.
What I'm looking for, with little success, is an equivalent in banking.

One of my themes over many years on Link has been the lack of focus on
"information" in the IT industry, a second one has been on not trusting data
within IT systems because they many not accurately represent reality.

As it happens, there are two news items today that might just indicate
that this
could be changing:

Police arrest unstructured data in IT overhaul
Michael Crawford
Computerworld
18/09/2006 08:02:11
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;706072085;fp;16;fpid;0

NSW Police is embarking on a massive overhaul of its enterprise
architecture and
is currently in phase four of the overall plan. The end goal is
interoperability
across all government sites.

Robert Peake, enterprise architect in the interface and integration department
of NSW Police, said new taxonomies are being created for data collaboration
across agencies.

...etc

and

Identifying the CIO agenda in 2009
Sandra Rossi
Computerworld
18/09/2006 07:59:00
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1337593195;fp;16;fpid;0

Rowsell-Jones said the 'next big thing' will not be a single piece of
technology
or point solution, it will be about leveraging information.

"We will be putting the 'i' back in CIO and the shift will be to the
information
piece of IT," he said.

... etc

but I'm not holding my breath.