[LINK] Re: DNA Coil

Stephen Loosley stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Sep 27 23:54:23 AEST 2006

So it might possibly appear, Jan ..

Chem Phys.  2006 Aug 21,  (www.pubmed.gov)

On the formation of rings-on-a-string conformations in a single polyelectrolyte chain: A possible scenario.

Sakaue T,  Yoshikawa K.  Department of Physics, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8502, Japan, and Spatio-Temporal Order Project, ICORP, JST, Kyoto 606-8502, Japan.

Recent single-molecular observations have revealed that a single giant DNA molecule assumes (micro) phase separated structures upon the addition of condensing agents.

Electron and atomic force microscopy have clearly shown the coexistence of ordered tori and disordered coil structures within a single DNA molecule.  Motivated by these experimental findings, we theoretically investigated the collapse transition of a single polyelectrolyte chain driven by the addition of condensing guest molecules.

We found that the transition behavior critically depends on the degree of the surviving charge inside the torus. When the torus is charged, even slightly, "rings-on-a-string" structures are expected for a sufficiently long chain, owing to the combinational entropy of segment state distribution along the chain and the unique property of the stability of charged torus.
--
PMID: 16942377 [PubMed - in process]

At 07:58 AM 26/09/2006, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> So, does this imply that the electromagnet fields that are ubiquitous
> today may be causing the allergies that children are suffering with more
> frequency and range today? And that the counter is to live nearer the sea
> or rub on salt water? I know that sea water does help with infection and
> skin irritations because of the salt.  Jan

Cheers, Jan
Stephen Loosley
Melbourne, Australia
.