[LINK] No GPhone, but Open Handset Alliance and 'Android' from Google

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Nov 6 16:54:05 AEDT 2007

On 06/11/2007, at 1:35 PM, steve jenkin wrote:

> Apple, Microsoft & Nokia are missing from the 30 partners.

And also Sony-Ericsson missing in action. Palm is currently ambivalent
(though Apple have at least acknowledged the existence of Android, as
one would expect with Eric Schmidt sitting on the board of Apple).

Major US carriers such as AT&T and Verizon are missing, too. Of those
who have taken an interest, T-Mobile and Sprint are the underdogs in
US telecoms at present, so have little to lose.

If Android can succeed where Symbian, Windows Mobile, and Palm OS
failed, and if Google can learn from prior mistakes by others, it
might just outlast and prosper.

Also, it will be interesting to see how phone users handle advertising
with their mobile phones, as Google have promised.

> SDK to be released on 12 Nov.
> Linux platform for 'mobile devices'.  Will they say "Consider it
> Standard"?
> Not 'a gPhone', but many implementations.
> (USA) 700Mhz spectrum tied to the idea.

We shall no doubt be hearing more about the Open Handset Alliance.

iT