[LINK] Australian Papers Express Courier (APEC) Slowdown

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Fri Sep 7 09:19:45 AEST 2007

On 07/09/2007, at 8:34 AM, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:

> I can't explain it, but it was also about two hours late being
> delivered here in Beacon Hill, 25k north of the CBD.

It's pretty obvious really - security is now enhancing all roadblocks
to stop any traffic, but especially Osama Bin Laden of Canada, and a
bunch of protesters from Melbourne. I'm surprised that we aren't all
given a curfew for the duration of APEC.

> I work in the CBD, but haven't been in since Tuesday.

Just don't look out the windows, or take binoculars to work...

> All this security is about fear - the current government fears that
> something bad might happen. Hence the over-reaction and a lack of
> balanced perspective.

To be more serious, I believe that events like this put a severe
strain on the Australian cultural and sociological perspectives, too.
We don't go in for over-pretentious activity (such as ridiculous over-
the-top security), and like to be able to take the mickey as a means
to alleviate the silliness of it all, or point out the farcical
nature of how unreal the whole event is - but we are now governed by
fear, so are told to remain quiet and subservient.

Interestingly, the Chinese president was in Canberra yesterday - his
entourage of vehicles is much more understated (less than 30 cars),
and whilst decoys were part and parcel of the event, the world didn't
stop for him. Perhaps it's that Americans, and the American president
in particular, have much to fear from the outside world.

> The thing I fear most is incompetent politicians - of which we seem
> to have more of our fair share at the moment.

Possibly, but if we had an 'incident' during APEC, then the label of
incompetence would be levelled at our pollies, regardless. They're
protecting their own interests ads much as anyone else's.

If anything, events like APEC can only demonstrate to us that pollies
are far removed from the real world, and I suspect that the
willingness of officials to make this an over-the-top security event
will do more harm for incumbent pollies (and officials) than not. A
no-win situation for all those involved and responsible.

iT