[LINK] Andrew Keene 'The Cult of the Amateur'

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 19 07:44:04 AEST 2007

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> Did any linkers see the New Hour on Tuesday where Andrew Keene talked
> about his views on the Internet? I wasn't listening closely until the
> end when he said one of the problems was the anonymous participation
> on the net, and that that has contributed to incivility.
>
> I disagree. I think anonymity has its place. If one wants to say
> something intentionally provocative without revealing one's identity,
> shouldn't that be allowed? In times when governments are accusing
> people of 'thought crimes' when people disagree with the powerful,
> isn't anonymity a requirement, similar to the publications in
> revolutionary times in the American colonies?
>
> Yes, there are lunatics on the net and raging testosterone that makes
> some online places unpalatable. So what? Isn't the solution for those
> who don't like those environments to leave, just as one does when they
> encounter such things if they don't like them in meat space?
A contrarian in both directions responds ...

First, in the "meat" world, it's perfectly reasonable to resent someone
ruining enjoyment of the public space, whether it's a pub or a park or
whatever. "If you don't like it, leave" puts the onus in the wrong
direction, IMO: why should (for eg) the sober make accommodation for the
sozzled?

However, anonymity per se isn't the problem, it's manners! I don't see
that "removing anonymity" in the online world would improve things, any
more than a photo ID on the shirt would stop people behaving badly in
pubs. (Actually, the reason I don't go to pubs anyhow is that my hearing
is already too far diminished for me to want to risk what little remains
to me.)

I see plenty of bad manners on mailing lists; but I don't see anything
which proves that the anonymous individual has worse manners. On another
list I read, the foulest 'mouth' and largest number of pointless insults
comes from an individual who is not only identified, but reasonably
high-profile; and on yet another, a screaming row lasting more than a
week broke out over *map projections* for heaven's sake. None of the
people involved in the spit-fight saw fit to conceal their identities!

RC