[LINK] Andrew Keene 'The Cult of the Amateur'

David Goldstein wavey_one at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 11:17:56 AEST 2007

The debate Andrew Keen has raised is a good one, and the anonymity afforded online causes all sorts of problems and I largely agree with Richard and Adam.

Anonymity is great when people respect others, but they so often take it as a licence to abuse, make unsubstantiated and libellous claims. Even on sites such as news.com.au, the comments made using anonymous names is just astounding. Sites such as guardian.co.uk and timesonline.co.uk are better, but still sometimes frightening.

It's possible this descent into ever more abusive commentary on all manner of sites including news sites will lead to ever more regulation (self or by government), if not only to stave off defamation proceedings.

If it was just a case of "those who don't like those environments to leave", well, this would be fine. But what if it involves you personally in some way?

I agree with Richard that using ones real identity does not end the problem, however it curtails it somewhat.

David