[LINK] RFI: Geolocation based on IP-Address

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Thu Sep 27 10:00:01 AEST 2007

On 27/9/07 9:52 AM, "David Lochrin" <dlochrin at d2.net.au> wrote:
> [snip] Dot was in Harris Street, Sydney.  APCS is in Queensland - the APNIC
record
> for their subnet 220.157.84.0 - 220.157.84.255 shows the contact as level 21,
> 144 Edward Street, Brisbane.
>
>    I'm located in the Southern Highlands, about 100Km south of Sydney.
>
>    However ip2location gave my details as follows:
>
> country: Australia
> region: Northern Territory
> city: Tennant Creek
> isp: Dot Communications
>
>    I'm not sure what to make of that.

I think these databases aren't very good.

My current IP address is accurate in the site quoted, People Telecom /
Swiftel in Sydney. But in another I checked earlier in the week had me at
Menai, some distance to the south.

A few years back (yes, old news) when on an Optus link, I was shown as in
Singapore 'cos it's Singtel Optus. Big oops.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia