[LINK] Labor to deliver lightning internet speeds

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Mar 3 09:58:26 AEDT 2008

Bernard forwards:

> Labor to deliver lightning internet speeds
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/03/01/1204402249626.html
>
> .. by deploying VDSL, (also known as Very High Speed DSL) technology,
> Senator Conroy said the new network would be able to carry up to 25
> megabits per second ... VDSL stands for Very High Bit-rate Digital
> Subscriber Line technology .. It is the fastest DSL service available.

Gosh-darn! Just when we have a perfectly splendid broadband plan, along
comes newer technology, 'Smart VDSL' with typically a 30% speed increase.

Maybe we should wait for "Genius-Ultra-So-Very-Very-High-It-Hurts-DSL"

Anyway, here a bit of light reading ..

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=144986

AlcaLu Unveils Smart DSL

PARIS -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU - message board)
today announced the introduction of its innovative Smart DSL technology
at the occasion of the TVoDSL 2008 conference ..

Line stability has a huge impact on the end-user’s quality of experienc
(QoE). A digital subscriber line (DSL) made unstable by crosstalk, for
example, can cause service degradation and even service interruption.

Increasing the signal to noise ratio is the traditional approach to
stabilizing lines - but this usually results in a degradation of
bandwidth, something that is not well suited in today’s triple-play world.

Therefore, Alcatel-Lucent now introduces its Smart DSL technology,
targeting operators deploying higher-speed bandwidth services over
asymmetric DSL (ADSL) and very high-speed DSL (VDSL) lines.

The Smart DSL technology allows operators to guarantee DSL line stability
at higher bit rates than traditional methods, building on Alcatel-Lucent’s
Artificial Noise and Virtual Noise (ANVN) innovations.

The Smart DSL technology uses artificial or virtual noise to mask noise
and results in increased bandwidths for high-bit rate service delivery.

Its ultimate goal is to ensure that the copper network can deliver the
quality of service (QoS) and QoE promised to (and expected by) end-users.

"Alcatel-Lucent continues to innovate in DSL, turning into reality our
customers’ ambitions when deploying higher-speed broadband services over
copper," says Luis Martinez Amago, President of Alcatel-Lucent’s fixed
access activities. "Concretely, this combination of ANVN, ISAM and Network
Analyzer technologies achieves optimal line stability with minimal
bandwidth loss, typically at as much as 30% higher bit rates than
traditional solutions. This allows operators to considerably expand
coverage of their copper networks for the deployment of Internet protocol
television (IPTV) and other premium bandwidth services."

--

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server