[LINK] question without notice: outlook archiving

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Wed May 28 17:22:08 AEST 2008

On 28/5/08 4:54 PM, "Brenda Aynsley" <bpa at iss.net.au> wrote:
> I have a friend who uses outlook, reluctantly, because of the clients he
> has who also use Outlook (ms offfice 2003) and asked me today about
> archiving mail, and any utilities that exist to manipulate the archive
> eg add new messages to existing archives and the like.
>
> Anyone an expert in this or can point me in the right direction to
> develop some expertise, in the subject?

The key question is whether this is just HIS mail archive, or other people's
too.

If it's just him, Outlook itself has an archiving tool internally, can
filter by date and other factors to decide what gets archived and what stays
"live". The archives are just more Outlook .pst files, so easy to move data
between them.

There's also plenty of 3rd party tools for manipulating Outlook .pst files,
depending on needs.

If it's with other people's email too, it gets complicateder.

One option is just to outsource the whole archiving process to someone like
YourASP. http://www.yourasp.com.au/default.aspx?id=17 Disclosure: I
sometimes resell YourASP's services.

Happy to have a quick chat with your chap.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia