[LINK] 'Net filters "required" for all Australians, no opt-out

Michael Meloni mike at somebodythinkofthechildren.com
Sat Oct 18 10:14:11 AEDT 2008

Scott Howard wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:29 AM, Michael Meloni
> <mike at somebodythinkofthechildren.com
> <mailto:mike at somebodythinkofthechildren.com>> wrote:
>
>     Just came across this on Whirlpool: NoCleanFeed.com might be
>     blocked in
>     NSW public schools (
>     http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=967413&p=17#r332
>     <http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=967413&p=17#r332>
>      )
>
>     Here's a screen cap:
>     http://www.somebodythinkofthechildren.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/nocleanfeed_blocked1.jpg
>

> That looks like a glitch - it's reporting a DNS error.
>
> Many sites are blocked by the NSW DET system, including (for most/all
> students) any sites which haven't been classified by their URL filter
> vendor or a group of teachers - but the error will be an actual
> "block" error, not a DNS error.
>
> Also without any idea where that screenshot came from it's also
> possible that it's fake.  The only indication of the site being
> blocked is in the URL itself - wouldn't be hard to change...
>
>   Scott.

Here's another capture sent to me accessed by someone on a student
account for years 7 - 12:
http://www.somebodythinkofthechildren.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/nocleanfeed_censored.jpg

There's probably either a whitelist is in place or the site has been
added to a generic blocking category named 'uncategorised'.

Yes it could be faked. It could be photoshopped in 2 minutes. I'm going
to try and get more information on Monday when I can get more URLs tested.

Mike

--
http://www.somebodythinkofthechildren.com/
http://www.netalarmed.com/