[LINK] A wildly off-topic and doubtless already-done conversationabout words (was Re: Smartcard mooted for federal welfare payments)

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Apr 21 17:59:32 AEST 2009

At 12:01 PM 21/04/2009, Pilcher, Fred wrote:
>I've always defined a "customer" as someone who buys something from you,
>whereas a client is someone to whom you provide a service, whether
>they're paying for it or not.
>
>If I'm alone in that, so be it, but calling welfare recipients
>"customers" just seems wrong to me.

Beneficiaries? Entitlement receiver?

We just had a similar discussion at an au gov meeting. They talked
about citizens throughout, but their service is as much for people in
other countries as it is for actual citizens. They didn't have any
better ideas than 'individuals' or 'people'.

At least a social security or other benefit is a subset and not the
whole world.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com