[LINK] You have got to be kidding...

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 14 07:24:34 AEDT 2009

Stilgherrian wrote:
> On 14/01/2009, at 6:53 AM, grant at apc.org.au wrote:
>
>> Did they submit too late? Were all the T's dotted and the I's
>> crossed? Was
>> some supporting information missing or not supplied when requested?
>> It's
>> possible that they expected Australia to be as quick and efficient
>> as many
>> other countries at allocating short term biz visas (eg: on arrival :)
>>

> Fair point. However the travellers were all employees of Sun
> Microsystems, who as a global organisation are quite familiar with
> organising travel to many, many countries -- including Australia.

I recall my days working for a 'global organisation'. Travel was,
nonetheless, booked by someone's secretary (thanks for the hotel room in
a Vegas strip joint), and visas were your own problem. Luckily, as a
journalist travelling to America, I had an American boss who made sure I
got an "i-visa" and didn't get turned back at the border.

I'd go so far as to say that "global company syndrome" could easily have
contributed to the problem - an assumption that because the staff were
travelling under the auspices of Sun, there would be no problem with
visas and no need to check anything.

RC