[LINK] Race is on for carbon offset work

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Jan 21 12:01:22 AEDT 2009

Tom Worthington wrote:
> At 02:41 PM 20/01/2009, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>
>> The Federal Government decided to review its procurement, so it did
>> the Gershon review. ... Because of the hold, for the first half of
>> Fin Year 2008/09 the rate of IT spend in Canberra has been well down
>> on plan. ... In the next month or so the hold will come off and
>> departments will be panicking to spend ...
>>

> Given the Australian Government is short of money and wants to reduce
> its carbon emissions, the logical thing to do would be to stop the
> departments doing panic spending. Where spending is justified, it
> could minimise cost and emissions by using the minimum of equipment.
>
> As an example, the newspaper article you cite ("Race is on for carbon
> offset work", Karen Dearne, January 20, 2009 The Australian IT
> <http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24934753-15306,00.html>)
> mentions 20 new IT projects for the Department of Climate Change to
> get online trading and oversight of emissions permits. This need not
> involve a large spend on hardware, as the trading system will be a
> tiny one, compared to something like the Australian Stock Exchange.
> The trading system hardware would fit in a couple of pizza box size
> units.
Tom, Tom, Tom, you just haven't been reading my previous postings.

Nobody puts (or should put) multiple (up to 20?) production systems
costing tens of millions of dollars on to a couple of pizza box servers,
real or virtualised.

It would have thought that it would be a good idea to work out what the
systems are supposed to do and then determine the necessary hardware and
other infrastructure. Defining hardware requirements first sounds a bit
backwards to me. But what the heck, experienced IT architects like me
don't get listened to, I should be used to it by now.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn