[LINK] Digital Humanities Manifesto

Andy Farkas chuzzwassa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 10:10:19 AEDT 2009

Richard Chirgwin top-posted thusly:

> Well, I've gotta say, the comments are better written than the manifesto
>
> Rule 1 of sociology: never use ten words when you can use 100.
>
> Rule 2: never use a common word when you can either invent a word, or
> misuse a word because it sort of sounds right! (eg, mistaking normative
> as meaning the same thing as normal).
>
> Rule 3: practise the exclusive rather than the inclusive. Being
> deliberately opaque protects you from being discussed by the hoi polloi.
>
> Cheers,
> RC

A bit late for Friday Funnies, but what the hey...
(I'm sure Jan will appreciate this :)

deepthink> fortune -m "Rules for Writers"
%% (fortunes)
                 William Safire's Rules for Writers:

Remember to never split an infinitive.  The passive voice should never
be used.  Do not put statements in the negative form.  Verbs has to
agree with their subjects.  Proofread carefully to see if you words
out.  If you reread your work, you can find on rereading a great deal
of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.  A writer must
not shift your point of view.  And don't start a sentence with a
conjunction.  (Remember, too, a preposition is a terrible word to end a
sentence with.)  Don't overuse exclamation marks!!  Place pronouns as
close as possible, especially in long sentences, as of 10 or more
words, to their antecedents.  Writing carefully, dangling participles
must be avoided.  If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a
linking verb is.  Take the bull by the hand and avoid mixing
metaphors.  Avoid trendy locutions that sound flaky.  Everyone should
be careful to use a singular pronoun with singular nouns in their
writing.  Always pick on the correct idiom.  The adverb always follows
the verb.  Last but not least, avoid cliches like the plague; seek
viable alternatives.
%%
Rules for Writers:
         Avoid run-on sentences they are hard to read.  Don't use no double
negatives.  Use the semicolon properly, always use it where it is appropriate;
and never where it isn't.  Reserve the apostrophe for it's proper use and
omit it when its not needed.  No sentence fragments. Avoid commas, that are
unnecessary.  Eschew dialect, irregardless.  And don't start a sentence with
a conjunction.  Hyphenate between sy-llables and avoid un-necessary hyphens.
Write all adverbial forms correct.  Don't use contractions in formal writing.
Writing carefully, dangling participles must be avoided.  It is incumbent on
us to avoid archaisms.  Steer clear of incorrect forms of verbs that have
snuck in the language.  Never, ever use repetitive redundancies.  If I've
told you once, I've told you a thousand times, resist hyperbole.  Also,
avoid awkward or affected alliteration.  Don't string too many prepositional
phrases together unless you are walking through the valley of the shadow of
death.  "Avoid overuse of 'quotation "marks."'"

-andyf