[LINK] Aussie IvP6 registrations

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat Jan 31 05:55:16 AEDT 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:26 AM, <stephen at melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> > To try to curb unauthorized file-sharing the report recommends
> > requiring Internet service providers to send warning letters to
> > persistent pirates.
>
> I think a better way to 'police' our net is to give the public strong
> rights over Internet Protocol numbers. That is, you've registered the
> numbers, you take care of them!

OK, so I'm confused.

IP addresses are assigned to ISPs, not to individual home users.  Are you
suggesting that the ISP should be responsible for keeping their clients
clean?

> If you output spam/malware/porn/copyright illegally from your address,
> we public should be able to contact you, easily, and warn you to stop.

"we public" ?  With what level of controls over access?

Presuming you are referring to the details of individual users being
available (and not just ISPs as we have today)?  Are you suggesting that I
should be able to lookup anyones name/address/telephone number, based just
on their IP address?  What an amazing marketing tool that would be - every
time a user goes to my website I can simply lookup their email address/phone
number and spam them!

But, our current au IvP4 Who-is system, www.apnic.net/search/index.html
> is a virtually unknown resource outside we geeks. I say if Aussie Fred
> is diddled, spammed or in anyway abused by an .au IP location we 'must'
> speak up. Yes, report it, but first take action ourselves and report IP
> allocation-rule abuse directly to the IP owner.

Again, are you talking ISP or individual details?  For ISP-level, whois data
is already very good for "Australian" IP addresses - at least for anything
less than 10 years old.  It took me only a few seconds to work out that you
are connceted to an IP address "owned" by Comindico, and that I should send
"ALL SPAM & HACKING REPORTS TO abuse at comindico.com.au".

Yes, the average person on the street may not be able to drive whois, but
for the most part they also have no idea what an IP address is.

For user-level information this type of lookup just isn't viable - if only
because it changes in time. In fact, the whois entry for your IP address
specifically states that if I want to report abuse I need to include
"accurate timestamps and your offset from GMT", because of course 10 minutes
after you sent your email it may have been a different user on the same IP
address. IPv6 _may_ change this slightly (there simple haven't been enough
ISP IPv6 deployments yet to determine exactly how address allocation will be
handled), but it's unlikely.

Give us IvP6 laws, information & tools, and we'll look after ourselves.

Right now the last thing we need as either an industry or a country is
something else to complicate and delay IPv6 deployments...

For what it's worth, the registry I get my IPv6 network from has just (about
2 weeks ago) added the ability for users to block their personal information
from being displayed in whois.  Previously they forced all users details to
be available, but due to complaints from many users they have changed this
to only show basic details, not including email address/etc.

  Scott.