[LINK] Fwd: Expert Panel: The Seven Stages of IPv6 Adoption

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Mar 27 18:00:36 AEDT 2009

Karl writes,

> > So, do you, or any Linker imagine this might become a problem for
> > orderly and responsible Au net housekeeping?
>
> No - no more than it is for IPv4 already. I wonder what you imagine
> "net housekeeping" to be, and what roles you see ISPs playing.

Thanks for your reply, Karl. And i expect this topic regards any future
au namespace 'police' to be unpopular and so will not pursue it on Link.
Only that IPv6 is so huge, maybe different net management is necessary?

One is aware that acting as an ISP, MelbPC has sent emails to customers
telling them that they appear to be virused, and are certainly spamming.

I don't know if registrars, hosting companies, ISPs, or whomever, might
be ideal watch-keepers over those new au 'territories' but, just maybe,
new arrangements may be indicated simply because of immense numbers. It
is 'not' likely to be a popular topic for discussion, but industry self
regulation might well need to be beefed up, given the numbers that will
be available? I guess i want to know if this has been considered in the
plans, before say, our Government may feel compelled to step in, in the
event of problems. Effective industry self-regulation (paid/sponsored?)
is better than 'after the fact' government intervention one would think.

That's all i want to have clarified, for the good of all .au net users.

Cheers, Karl
Stephen Loosley
Victoria Australia