[LINK] Fwd: Expert Panel: The Seven Stages of IPv6 Adoption

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Fri Mar 27 18:37:25 AEDT 2009

<Snip>
> Hm. Could you describe how the issues with IPv6 might differ
> from the issues with IPv4?

Caught with my pants down.
I was of course alluding to the future - or my perception of the future-
i.e. Mobile internet - with IP numbers becoming ad-hoc identifiers with
care of address and fixed address both being required, but allowing for
interdiction spoofing at the care of address.

> > The second concern might be the nature of IPV6 lends itself
> to cloaked
> > PVC type communicatons.
>
> Name one way in which "IPV6 lends itself to cloaked PVC type
> communications", then show how IPv6 is any different from IPv4.

So I am referring to RFC2003 (inc ipv4 of course) and under ipv6 in
RFC1702 utilising the source route entry mechanism, the source can again
be faked with no reference to the origin IP when travelliing between
networks. E.g.: Mobile Phone/Laptop.
Could I suggest
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/99nov/I-D/draft-ietf-mobileip-optim-08.t
xt

And then the consideration that triangular routing on mobile networks
has not yet been solved under ipv4 and therefore makes RSVP inoperable.

<snip>
> I could be wrong, but I'm starting to smell FUD in the air...

No - just the lack of references disease that I suffer from when Im in a
rush.

Tom