[LINK] How many Newspapers does it take to build Ayers Rock?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed May 13 15:54:16 AEST 2009

Tom Koltai wrote:
> [...]
<snip>
The science is getting a bit confused a little while back, I tried to clarify it
for myself:
> Carbon Nitrogen Cycle
>
> In the chemical process of Burning Coal and other Carbon based fuels, Oxygen combines with the Carbon to provide energy (heat) and CO2.
>
> The Oceans and Plants are natural carbon sinks.(2) In sunlight, Plants absorb CO2 from the air and photosynthesise it into Carbon based Biomass. This process releases O2. This is the carbon cycle.(3
> Using The Greenhouse Accounting CRC's Tree Carbon Calculator
>
>     * a Eucalptus Tree (Hardwood) with a 100cm Trunk has absorbed 1,182kg of CO2
>     * a Pine Tree (softwood) with a 100cm Trunk has absorbed 787kg of CO2
>     * a Eucalptus Tree (Hardwood) with a 10cm Trunk has absorbed 3kg of CO2

<http://www.ramin.com.au/eco-sydney/carbon.shtml>

So, Tom are you talking about the stockpile of old newspapers on the energy
embodied in the newspapers?

The calculation between the volume of a single newspaper and the volume of Uluru
should not be that difficult - though I am unsure of the point of the comparison.

We could also consider the greenhouse gases that the newspapers would produce as
they broke down. Bear in mind that newspaper is generally recycled paper.

We could also add the cost of delivering the newspaper to your door, generally
by car in the 'burbs...

> Comparative Motor Vehicle CO2 emissions
> Model	CO2 Rating
> Toyota Prius	106 g/km