[LINK] google and pirate bay

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sat Oct 3 20:37:13 AEST 2009

rom-search-results-091002/>DMCA
takedown request, regardless of the fact that there are no torrents
available to download on TPB's front page.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/10/google-removes-pirate-bays-front-pa
ge-from-search-results/

>Jan

All fixed apparently "a mistake" according to Google.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10366570-93.html Refers.

Update 3 p.m. PT: To include an updated comment from Google.

Google said on Friday that an error caused the search engine to remove
The Pirate Bay from its search pages.

"Google received a (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) take-down request
that erroneously listed Thepiratebay.org, and as a result, this URL was
accidentally removed from the Google search index," Google said in a
statement. "We are now correcting the removal, and you can expect to see
Thepiratebay.org back in Google search results this afternoon."

Later, Google updated it's statement: "The removal appears to be an
internal error and not part of a DMCA request."

Separately, The Pirate Bay's site appeared down Friday afternoon at 1:15
p.m. PT, at least in many U.S. areas.

Google didn't provide any details about what caused the error but at
this point it doesn't seem to be some kind of orchestrated effort to
bring down The Pirate Bay--at least on Google's part. According to
Google, it was just a goof.

The DMCA's safe-harbor provision is designed to shield Internet service
providers from being held liable for copyright infringement committed by
users. But the provision has a certain set of requirements that ISPs
must meet, and one of them includes promptly removing infringing
material.

The case is a bit ironic, in that it's well-established that The Pirate
Bay does not store any unauthorized copies of films, music, TV shows, or
other content.

Indeed, the service can help people find pirated content, but so can a
lot of search engines, including Google. The notion that the Pirate Bay
would be pulled down because of a single copyright claim is sort of
humorous.

If that's all that was needed to have the site kicked off, it would have
happened years ago. The music and film industries, as well as other
copyright owners, have complained about The Pirate Bay for years.

Peter Sunde-Kolmisoppi told Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagblated that The
Pirate Bay's attorney sent a letter to both Google and the companies
that are suspected of being behind the allegations and demanded that the
Pirate Bay be returned to Google's index. The Pirate Bay accused Google
of censoring a competitor and of stifling free expression, the paper
reported.