[LINK] Newspapers online

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Mon Mar 29 13:01:21 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Mar/28, at 6:17 PM, David Goldstein wrote:
> You seem to not realise that the 2 aforementioned papers only need a
> small percentage of their online readers to pay for access for them
> to be getting more money than they currently do from online
> advertising.

They don't need more money than the currently get from online
advertising, they need something like what they used to get from print
advertising which is considerably more.

> Just because millions of people read your newspapers online doesn't
> mean you earn much money from advertising.

Then you're doing it wrong.

> As for the Chinese and Indian newspapers, VERY few people outside
> those countries will want to read them. The large mass market
> newspapers (and the BBC) in the UK and mass market papers in the US
> are global media outlets now.

Perhaps you meant English newspapers.  I would have thought a market
of 1.3 billion (or so) was a mass market.

What you seem to be saying is that the only mass market media is
Murdoch.  So then the original statement :
> Times and Sunday Times newspapers from June, becoming the first
> media firm to test consumers' appetite to pay for mass-market news
> online.

May as well be :

On 2010/Mar/28, at 9:37 PM, David Goldstein wrote:

> Ivan and Karl, mention the large readership of Indian and Chinese
> newspapers. But they are not global players like several British or
> American news outlets.

Yeah there are only Chinese people in ... every country in the world.

> Plus the markets may be large but there is little money.

Not true.

> Hence why, as many people say, Google pulled out of China. They made
> very little money there and so their decision was very easy.

You know they made little money there for sure?  And that was the
reason they pulled out?

> Newspapers such as The Guardian and New York Times are widely read
> throughout the world.
>
> And once people get over the anti-Murdoch sentiment that pervades
> this list,

Compared to you we're probably all virulently anti-Murdoch.

> people might have a reasonable debate on the pluses and minuses of
> paywalls for news content. At least the press in the UK has been
> debating this with interesting points for and against.

Why do we have to debate it?  The debate that really matters, as they
say, is the one which makes the money.  We only have to wait a while
until we get to the "I told you so" bit.