[LINK] All your internets are belong to us

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Thu Nov 25 08:44:56 AEDT 2010

On 25/11/10 8:26 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> I have a basic question, after following this thread without the
> background reading:
>

> Did the USDoD REALLY send strategic or sensitive national security
> information over an open network?

I don't think so.  The reports have just said that the hijacked routes
included traffic from DoD, NASA and other sites, but this is all data
that would already be travelling across external networks.  So it
would be stuff like email and web traffic.  There might be low
clearance encrypted data, but the rules for handling higher clearance
stuff get more and more stringent and, even with encryption, it is
unlikely to be affected.

> To me, that is the stupid start of the problem if that is what
> happened. Doesn't DOD have its own Milnet still?

Yes.

Regards,
Ben