[LINK] Atlas of Living Australia

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 14:53:03 AEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au> wrote:
> I can't see any evidence that we've ever kicked this one around:
>
> Atlas of Living Australia
> http://www.ala.org.au
>
> 1MB PDF 'Fact Sheet'
> http://www.ala.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ALAfactsheet_Oct2010-1.pdf
>

> My initial reaction is 'great stuff!'.
>
> I'm a little disappointed about the sketchiness of the coverage of a
> couple of properties over which we respectively have and are about to
> get Conservation Agreements.
>
> That's because our own flora species lists are significantly fuller
> than the consolidated official records.  But if this is the summation
> of currently available official records, then that alone is valuable
> information!

My understanding was that this project was especially novel because
they take information from any source they can get. Not only by
encouraging co-operation between Federal/State agencies but by
engaging with hobbyist observation/conservation groups and individuals
("Citizen Science"): http://www.ala.org.au/share/share-data/

They also seem to now be helping groups to install their own
electronic systems for managing sightings (based off a sponsored open
source project) that can easily be imported into the central atlas:
http://www.ala.org.au/tools-services/citizen-science/cs-get-involved/