[LINK] Carrier IQ

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Dec 2 19:33:32 AEDT 2011

Scott,

Here's how Carrier IQ liked to be seen before it all turned to sludge:
http://www.canada.com/sports/Carrier+Named+Innovative+Business+Analytics+Company+Under+100M+Watch+Leading/5616548/story.html

A couple of points from the story.

1. It was not recognised as a boring system diagnostics software
company: it was in the "business analytics" space.

> delivering mission critical intelligence on how services perform and
> how devices actually work in the hands of end users.
That's going beyond some kind of "if it crashes let us know capability".
I think my previous point stands: maybe it was a good idea but they
didn't know when to stop.

> "Carrier IQ's Mobile Intelligence platform puts the customer at the
> center of decision making by providing a detailed understanding of the
> customer's experience," said Larry Lenhart, CEO, Carrier IQ.
and

> Carrier IQ delivers a unique source of knowledge, directly from the
> mobile device, which represents an objective, impartial view of how
> handsets and devices are performing on the network, and how mobile
> devices are being used day-to-day.
It's not just about performance management - it's about user behaviour.
I don't actually care whether they think the information is secure and
anonymous, because security and anonymity are circumventable. And
anyhow, I think the legality of collecting such data is probably
questionable, at least in Australia.

RC