[LINK] New free MIT learning platform 'with a virtual community of learners worldwide'

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Dec 20 21:22:15 AEDT 2011

M.I.T. Expands Its Free Online Courses (also certificates)

By TAMAR LEWIN www.NYTimes.com Published: December 19, 2011

While students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology pay thousands
of dollars for courses, the university will announce a new program on
Monday allowing anyone anywhere to take M.I.T. courses online free of
charge — and for the first time earn official certificates for
demonstrating mastery of the subjects taught.

"There are many people who would love to augment their education by
having access to M.I.T. content, people who are very capable to earn a
certificate from M.I.T.," said L. Rafael Reif, the provost, in a
conference call with reporters Friday.

M.I.T. led the way to an era of online learning 10 years ago by posting
course materials from almost all its classes.

Its free OpenCourseWare now includes nearly 2,100 courses and has been
used by more than 100 million people.

But the new “M.I.T.x” interactive online learning platform will go
further, giving students access to online laboratories, self-assessments
and student-to-student discussions.

Mr. Reif and Anant Agarwal, director of the Computer Science and
Artificial Intelligence Lab, said M.I.T.x would start this spring —
perhaps with just one course — but would expand to include many more
courses, as OpenCourseWare has done.

“The technologies available are much more advanced than when we started
OpenCourseWare,” Mr. Agarwal said. “We can provide pedagogical tools to
self-assess, self-pace or create an online learning community.”

The M.I.T.x classes, he said, will have online discussions and forums
where students can ask questions and, often, have them answered by others
in the class.

While access to the software will be free, there will most likely be
an “affordable” charge, not yet determined, for a credential.

“I think for someone to feel they’re earning something, they ought to pay
something, but the point is to make it extremely affordable,” Mr. Reif
said. “The most important thing is that it’ll be a certificate that will
clearly state that a body sanctioned by M.I.T. says you have gained
mastery.”

The certificate will not be a regular M.I.T. degree, but rather a
credential bearing the name of a new not-for-profit body to be created
within M.I.T; revenues from the credentialing, officials said, would go
to support the M.I.T.x platform and to further M.I.T’s mission.

Educators at other universities applauded the M.I.T. move.

“It seems like a very big deal because the traditional higher education
reaction to online programs was, yeah, but it’s not a credential,” said
Richard DeMillo, director of the Center for 21st Century Universities at
the Georgia Institute of Technology. “So I think M.I.T. offering a
credential will make quite a splash. If I were still in industry and
someone came in with an M.I.T.x credential, I’d take it.”

M.I.T. said its new learning platform should eventually host a virtual
community of learners around the world — and enhance the education of
M.I.T.’s on-campus students, with online tools that enrich their
classroom and laboratory experiences.

The development of the new platform will be accompanied by an M.I.T.-wide
research initiative on online teaching and learning, including grading by
computer.

And because the M.I.T.x platform will be available free to people around
the world, M.I.T. officials said they expected that other universities
would also use it to offer their own free online courses. Mr. Reif said
that M.I.T. was investing millions of dollars in the project, and that it
expected to raise money from foundations and others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/education/mit-expands-free-online-
courses-offering-certificates.html?src=me&ref=general
--

Also..

<http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/mitx-education-initiative-1219.html>

MIT today announced the launch of an online learning initiative
internally called “MITx.” MITx will offer a portfolio of MIT courses
through an online interactive learning platform that will:

•organize and present course material to enable students to learn at
their own pace

•feature interactivity, online laboratories and student-to-student
communication

•allow for the individual assessment of any student’s work and allow
students who demonstrate their mastery of subjects to earn a certificate
of completion awarded by MITx

•operate on an open-source, scalable software infrastructure in order to
make it continuously improving and readily available to other educational
institutions.

MIT expects that this learning platform will enhance the educational
experience of its on-campus students, offering them online tools that
supplement and enrich their classroom and laboratory experiences. MIT
also expects that MITx will eventually host a virtual community of
millions of learners around the world.

MIT will couple online learning with research on learning

MIT’s online learning initiative is led by MIT Provost L. Rafael Reif,
and its development will be coupled with an MIT-wide research initiative
on online teaching and learning under his leadership.

“Students worldwide are increasingly supplementing their classroom
education with a variety of online tools,” Reif said. “Many members of
the MIT faculty have been experimenting with integrating online tools
into the campus education. We will facilitate those efforts, many of
which will lead to novel learning technologies that offer the best
possible online educational experience to non-residential learners. Both
parts of this new initiative are extremely important to the future of
high-quality, affordable, accessible education.”

Offering interactive MIT courses online to learners around the world
builds upon MIT’s OpenCourseWare, a free online publication of nearly all
of MIT’s undergraduate and graduate course materials. Now in its 10th
year, OpenCourseWare includes nearly 2,100 MIT courses and has been used
by more than 100 million people.

MIT President Susan Hockfield said, “MIT has long believed that anyone in
the world with the motivation and ability to engage MIT coursework should
have the opportunity to attain the best MIT-based educational experience
that Internet technology enables. OpenCourseWare’s great success signals
high demand for MIT’s course content and propels us to advance beyond
making content available. MIT now aspires to develop new approaches to
online teaching.”

OCW will continue to share course materials from across the MIT
curriculum, free of charge.

MITx online learning tools to be freely available

MIT will make the MITx open learning software available free of cost, so
that others — whether other universities or different educational
institutions, such as K-12 school systems — can leverage the same
software for their online education offerings.

“Creating an open learning infrastructure will enable other communities
of developers to contribute to it, thereby making it self-sustaining,”
said Anant Agarwal, an MIT professor of electrical engineering and
computer science and director of MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial
Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL). “An open infrastructure will facilitate
research on learning technologies and also enable learning content to be
easily portable to other educational platforms that will develop. In this
way the infrastructure will improve continuously as it is used and
adapted.”

Agarwal is leading the development of the open platform.

President Hockfield called this “a transformative initiative for MIT and
for online learning worldwide. On our residential campus, the heart of
MIT, students and faculty are already integrating on-campus and online
learning, but the MITx initiative will greatly accelerate that effort.

It will also bring new energy to our longstanding effort to educate
millions of able learners across the United States and around the world.

And in offering an open-source technological platform to other
educational institutions everywhere, we hope that teachers and students
the world over will together create learning opportunities that break
barriers to education everywhere.”

--

Cheers,
Stephen