[LINK] Chinese swiped Googles Sourcecode - Was - A story about Christmas

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Wed Dec 28 16:16:25 AEDT 2011

Err, RenRen and QQ were about six years in advance of Facebook [circa
1998], so can’t quite see how they stole the Facebook idea...

> But the kicker for me was this snippet near the end:
> > Google tried to play China's game but was burned.  Beijing
> directed it
> > to censor offensive search results like "Chinese
> democracy."  Though
> > originally compliant, the California firm was continually
> > disadvantaged by induced disruptions to its Chinese
> network, a blatant
> > public preference for its Chinese competitor, and hassles over its
> > internet "license."  In order to avoid the trap Beijing
> laid for Yahoo
> > -- demanding dissidents' emails and info -- Google disabled
> services
> > such as gmail.  Its YouTube service was completely blocked.  China
> > eventually requested that Google also censor
> "objectionable" Chinese
> > material from its U.S.-based site.  In 2009 Google discovered that
> > Chinese agents had hacked their systems -- along with more than 200
> > other U.S. firms -- and swiped their cherished source code.
>  So much
> > for the advantage of ideas.

I find this one hard to swallow. Having been involved in several
start-ups involving software code, the code is always B1 secure with no
uncompiled elements anywhere near a network connection. For Google to
ignore such a basic rule speaks volumes about their lack of security.

> I don't remember hearing before that "Chinese agents had ...
> swiped Google's cherished source code".  Did I miss something?

Yep, you missed the Spin Truism.

Earlier this year we discussed that Robert Li had developed the Peer
Group reference concept before Larry Pages' "Page Rank" and before him
was Coopers work on document value based on reference source and access
numbers circa 1972-1977.

I had occasion this year to present to industry leaders the real story
behind the Google exit from China. It had very little do with being
hacked and a lot more to do with the fact that the Google Android
experiment backfired on Google. Robin Li convinced all good "patriotic"
phone manufactures to include the Baidu Search Icon on the front screen
of every Android powered Clone phone.
With 16 million arm chips shipped daily, ten million of those are placed
into Chinese phones.
At that rate, it doesn’t take long to overturn Google's dominance on a
global scale in the emerging nations, i.e.: Pakistan, Indonesia, Egypt
etc. by offering phones for sale under USD $100.00 when each one of
those phones uses Baidu as it's default search engine.

In fact even Sears this year were selling an Android powered iPhone 4
look-alike until Apple screamed foul. (See PowerPoint File in