[LINK] IBM's annual predictions

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Dec 28 01:36:11 AEDT 2011

Behind I.B.M.’s Big Predictions

By QUENTIN HARDY| NYTimes.com December 19, 2011, 4:52 pm

I.B.M. just issued its annual list of five predictions of developments in
technology that it thinks will come true in the next five years.

Like lots of predictive lists, particularly those that come around New
Year’s, this is something of a pseudo-event that serves as an
advertisement for the predictor’s own product or service. I.B.M.’s is no
different in that regard, but it is worth looking at, both for the
pedigree of who is doing the predicting, and what I.B.M.’s choices say
about itself.

“To predict the next five years, you have to have a deep understanding of
the last 50,” said Bernie Meyerson, vice president of innovation at
I.B.M., and a highly regarded researcher in advanced microprocessor
design and computer systems who oversees the list’s creation.

And so here are the predictions:

– Small amounts of energy created by actions like people walking or water
moving through pipes will be captured, stored in batteries  and used to
power things like phones, cars or homes. “You’ll see new ecosystems of
generation and capture,” Mr. Meyerson said. “You generate 60 to 65 watts
while walking. You could easily use that to power a phone forever.”

– There will be no more passwords, as increasingly powerful phones and
sensors will store your personal biometric information, enabling machines
to automatically know you are who you say you are.

– Better sensors on and inside the human brain will allow for mental
control of objects. Already there are experiments involving moving
cursors by thinking, but his prediction is that technology will go
further. “You will observe thought patterns, which are highly personal,”
he said. “You can use this to better understand stroke, or disorders like
autism.”

– Powerful mobile devices, capable of precise language translation, will
belong to 80 percent of the world’s population. While this is nearly
intuitive, given the ever-lower cost of phones, the real breakthrough
will be ubiquitous voice recognition and translation capabilities, which
will make the phones highly useful to large populations who are
illiterate, or who have languages that aren’t easily written with keypads.

(A question is: What would this mean for world markets and politics when
ordinary people can easily communicate with each other despite speaking
different languages?)

– Much the way powerful mobile devices store your biometric information
and translate your language, personalized information filters and search
engines will bring you only the information you want. “This will invert
the premise of marketing,” Mr. Meyerson said. The phones “will start to
be your advocate, recognizing what is near and dear to you and getting
it. Instead of companies speaking to you, you will reach out to
companies.”

While I.B.M. is conducting research in all of these areas, it makes
neither phones, games nor commercial batteries. Why, then, should it be
predicting the advent of such magic-seeming devices for the commercial
periphery?

The most likely reason is that I.B.M. makes the software and services for
the core networks without which all these devices would not function,
commercially. If Mr. Meyerson’s ideas play out, the phones and sensors
will do their magic only by interaction with an Internet almost
unimaginably more complex than the one we have today. Few companies in
the world will be able to engineer and run it at a large scale, and
I.B.M. would almost certainly be one.

“With devices like this at the edge of the network, at the core you will
need to have machines that can manage 30,000 complex commands a second
and yawn,” Mr. Meyerson said. “We’ve spent over $15 billion buying
analytics companies in the last five to seven years. It is a huge
investment that has given us deep, deep scientific and technical skills
that go way beyond the businesses these companies were in.”

I.B.M. is said to have over 300 people working just on the advanced math
needed to make this much complexity something like a well-integrated
whole. If its predictions come true, I.B.M. may need many more people
than that.
--

Cheers,
Stephen