[LINK] "Julian Assanges safety"

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Dec 29 00:16:59 AEDT 2011

An un-dated letter, under an odd URL, in the UK Telegraph ...

--

Julian Assange’s safety

SIR – To date, no charges have been laid against Julian Assange by
Swedish authorities. But we understand that, should he be sent to Sweden,
he will be held on remand, incommunicado. We are concerned that should Mr
Assange be placed in Swedish custody, he will be subject to the process
of “temporary surrender”, enabling his removal to the United States
without the appropriate legal processes that accompany normal extradition
cases.

Any prosecution of Mr Assange in the United States would be on the basis
of his activities as a journalist and editor – Mr Assange’s status as
such has been recently confirmed by the High Court in England. Such a
prosecution would be a serious assault on freedom of speech and the need
for an unfettered, independent media.

Further, the chances of Mr Assange receiving a fair trial in the United
States appear remote. A number of prominent political figures have called
for him to be assassinated, and Joe Biden, the Vice-President, has called
him a “hi-tech terrorist”. Given this atmosphere of hostility, we hold
serious concerns about his safety once in American custody.

As an Australian citizen, Mr Assange is entitled to the best endeavours
of the Australian government to ensure he is treated fairly. He is
entitled to expect that his government will not remain silent while his
liberty and safety are placed at risk.

Australians also expect their government to speak out against efforts to
silence the media and to intimidate those who wish to hold governments to
account.

Malcolm Fraser
Professor Noam Chomsky
The Marchioness of Worcester
Ken Loach
Rachel Ward
John Pilger
David Gilmour
Polly Samson
Elizabeth O’Shea
Bernard Keane
Julian Morrow
Professor Stuart Rees
Mary Kostakidis
Roy David
Rebecca O’Brien
Spencer Zifcak
Justin Randle
Antony Loewenstein
Rob Stary
Andrew Denton
Dr Scott Burchill
Eva Cox
Jeff Sparrow
Raimond Gaita
Michael Pearce SC
Guy Rundle
Adam Bandt MP
Robert Manne
Dr Leslie Cannold
Professor John Keane
Alex Miller
Julian Burnside QC
Wendy Bacon
Lieutenant Colonel Lance Collins (retd)
Ken Macnab
Steve Killelea
Professor Sarah Joseph
Marius Smith
Sophie Cunningham
Professor Theo van Leeuwen
Alastair Nicholson QC
Senator Scott Ludlam
Senator Bob Brown
Senator Christine Milne
Senator Rachel Siewert
Senator Richard Di Natale
Senator Penny Wright
Senator Larissa Waters
Senator Lee Rhiannon
Senator Sarah Hanson-Young
Greg Barns
Associate Professor Jake Lynch
Phillip Adams
Stephen Keim SC
Brian Walters SC
Reg Mombassa
Mike Carlton
Alex Mitchell
Lex Marinos
Anna Funder
Andrew Knight
Kara Greiner
Peter Fitzsimons
Angus Sampson
David Lyle
David Collins
Nicolé Nolan
Liz Humphrys
Dr Tad Tietze
Susan Benn
Gordon Morris
Jane Morris
Stephen Thompson
Mike Unger
Dale Vince

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/8964383/Primary-school-
children-should-be-taught-basic-skills-without-computers.html

--

Cheers,
Stephen