[LINK] New Law for Citizen Owned Solar Power Stations in Canberra

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Mar 4 11:56:54 AEDT 2011

Ivan Trundle wrote:
> On 04/03/2011, at 9:41 AM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>
>> The chief criminals of power waste are:
>> - heating elements
>> - flat panel TVs
>> - inefficient refrigeration (eg, use a chest freezer rather than an upright)
>> - water pumps (only relevant if you're using tank water)
>
> That's assuming that 'waste' is 'an inefficient use of power', in which case I'd actually push back further into the equation and suggest that waste is power consumed for convenience, but not for any real benefit: not to mention the inefficiency in using antiquated electrical systems that consume more power than contemporary systems - but it's horses for course, and similar to the old chestnut of finding the most efficient vehicle transport (such as keeping an old car vs buying a new, more efficient one - instead of considering using public transport, bicycles or feet).

I did some CO2 emission calculations for motor vehicles and
refridgerators. Total power requirements rather than
efficiency should be quoted.
<http://ramin.com.au/eco-sydney/carbon.shtml>

By the way, some of this is habit rather than convenience.
Compare using public transport to a private motor vehicle
for some trips. Canberra ofcourse has its own problems.

> But this seems to be moving away from Tom's original thread (waste of energy in transferring large files)...

<snip>

It isn't just transferring it is handling - opening to read
and the creation.

--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://ramin.com.au