[LINK] Jobs not all bad

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:54:31 AEDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 00:39, Stephen Wilson <swilson at lockstep.com.au> wrote:
> He whinges that all Jobs did was repackage and market existing
> technologies.  Would Fred seriously demean the Apple II as mere
> repackaging of existing technologies?  I'm happy to admit that the Apple
> II changed my life, and absolutely I subscribe to the idea it
> revolutionised computing.

Well, we disagree. Where do the above statement leaves the Commodore
8-bit computers and the 16-bit Commodore Amiga revolution?.

I´m part of a generation who grew as kids learning how to program in
Basic on a Commodore 64 computer hooked to the family´s 14-inch CRT TV
set (something current generations don´t get as back then there was
only one "display" (TV) in the house so computing time had to fight
with TV viewing time by other family members.

When the 16-bit Commodore Amiga was released back in 1985, it was a
revolution. An inexpensive machine with STEREO SOUND and 32.000-colour
mode, and REAL MULTITASKING back at the time that Jobs´s Hype-in-Tosh
was an expensive MONOCHROME BRICK, only useful for DTP.

Mac OS was crap before the move to the more Unix-inspired NeXT and
subsequent OS X
If someone deserves an obituary and praise, it´s JAY MINER, who passed
away in 1994 without much media hype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Miner

Just my $0.02
FC