[LINK] Dennis Ritchie op-ed piece

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Oct 25 11:07:05 AEDT 2011

For linkers:

Under-appreciated computer whiz left enduring legacy

  Chris Scanlon
  October 25, 2011 - 9:24AM

UNTIL his untimely death, his pioneering innovations revolutionised
the world of computing. Small, elegant, and yet incredibly powerful,
his work has burrowed its way deep into every area of modern life.
His legacy lives on in desktop computers, iDevices, and even Android phones.

I am, of course, referring to Dennis Ritchie, who recently died aged
70. If you're not a computer nerd then around about now, you're
probably saying to yourself ''Dennis who? Surely you mean Steve
Jobs.'' No, I don't, since it was Dennis Ritchie who invented the C
programming language.

Still underwhelmed?

C is to computer languages what Latin is to European languages.
Although developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, when Ritchie
was employed by AT&T Bell labs in the US, the language - and its
various extensions - remains one of the most used computer languages
in the world. For example, Objective-C, the language that's used to
create apps for the Apple Mac and is used to create many of the apps
found on iPods, iPhones and iPads is an extension of the C language.
more....
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/underappreciated-computer-whiz-left-enduring-legacy-20111024-1mg9i.html

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com