[LINK] Claim by Harvey Norman That Imports Are GST Free

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Feb 2 14:56:35 AEDT 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, my recommendation to anyone who would listen is to stick to EMS for
> international shipments originating in the USA and avoid "USPS Global
> Express" like the plague. Likewise for other countries that have EMS
> service available.

In fairness, "USPS Global Express" (GXC) and "USPS Express Mail
International" (aka EMS) are very different products.

GXC is a courier-like service, with very strict guarantees on timeliness of
delivery, where EMS is much more a "post office" product, and whilst it
still offers guaranteed delivery, the times are longer.

eg, from the US to Sydney, GXC guarantees 3 day delivery, whilst EMS is 5
days (which really means 7 due to the weekend, where GXC may or may not
include a weekend).  GXC is significantly more expensive, but if those 2
extra days make a difference to you, then it's worth it - and normally it's
cheaper than the equivalent services with UPS/Fedex/DHL.

I've shipped numerous packages of various types with USPS to Australia and
other countries using Express Mail International, and I've never had USPS
try and up-sell me to GXC - but if I need something to be there
"yesterday", then I'd be using GXC in an instant!

  Scott