[LINK] Notes From my Father - Was - The Dangers of

Jim Birch planetjim at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 10:57:26 AEST 2012

On 3 July 2012 09:38, TKoltai <tomk at unwired.com.au> wrote:

> We didn't swallow the Nazi propaganda immediately but it didn't arrive
> in bulk.

Get a grip, Tom.  Equating your dispute with Wikipedia content with the
rise of Nazism in Europe last century is pure fantasy.

The the organisations are about as different as is possible: Wikipedia is
an extremely open organisation, eg: it publishes it's processes, decisions,
history and sources; it aims to publish independently verifiable
information; it has an open membership policy; it has zero direct political
power; it is not a political party and doesn't even have a political credo
except the general principle that the open open and free dissemination of
knowledge is worth pursuing.  It's philosophical principles are pretty well
antithetical to Nazism - Wikipedians would have been among the first people
locked up.

With all due respect to your father, I seriously doubt that he would have
considered the activities of Wikipedia equivalent to Nazism.  You have
co-opted him for emotional support.  You are presenting us with two
alternatives: (1) Wikipedia is a form of Nazism or is heading in that
direction, or, (2) you think in associative narratives which you are unable
or unwilling to reality test.

Wikipedia does say this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Jim