[LINK] Digital disaster as online security firm loses personal data in the mail

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Jul 10 15:50:57 AEST 2012

Sometime ago, (1994 I believe) the US Postal Service issued a tender for
building an ISP and mail server solution for the USPS.

In the specifications was a clause that the expected volume of mail from
Government departments (Federal, State and County), would be equal to an
aggregate 120 million mail messages per day to Americans. (Including
American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Wade Is. and of course
Hawaii).

Although my company's Portland office responded to the tender, no
"winner" was ever announced and the idea seemed to fade away.

In Australia, we have Australia Post with an advanced IT department.
Their recent innovation with eBay and parcel tracking methodologies that
evolved from that initiative are I believe in the category of worlds
best practices.

I am not aware of any reason why Australia post that has had the
people's trust for over a century should now not be trusted by our
Government for the delivery of their content.

It almost seems that by using outside contractors, the Government is
telling us that they don't trust Aussie Post.

Or maybe, no-one in Government thought of using the official Government
mail carrier...

TomK