[LINK] The web moves quickly - Pinterest and clones

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 10:18:38 AEDT 2012

On 15 March 2012 09:40, Jan Whitaker <jwhit at janwhitaker.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I don't get it. Pretty pictures clustered together. When I clicked a
> link, I got 404 error for what supposedly would be the site from
> which the image came. I found if I right click on the link and open
> in a new tab, it worked (the redirection within Pinterest failed and
> gave the 404).
>
> Anyone else understand this site?

Hi Jan,
Consider some possible uses:
- I am renovating a bathroom. I can pin pics of tiles or basins I find
browsing realestate.com.au. I can also see what others have pinned
under the same topic, including the whole set of images from someone
who has better taste than me, and spent more time on research.
- I am on the lookout for dinners to cook that my kids will eat. This
is a common problem so there are many people 'pinning' recipes that I
can browse. And if I find another user that has a family with
overlapping tastes I can see what (almost always her) other recipes
are like
- My wife is a keen knitter. She can explore ideas for new projects.
- my friend is a graphic designer, he can surf other designers favourite images.

I'm not quite sold on it as a service I want to get involved in from
the content supply side (the pinning), but I can already see quite a
few uses from the viewing side.
Also, as many of the items pinned will ultimately be products, you
will understand the excitement this is generating in some marketing
circles.

Regards,
Michael Skeggs