[LINK] Turnbull's NBN

John Mann john.mann at monash.edu
Wed Apr 10 09:51:57 AEST 2013

Hi,

Here is a report that says running a FTTH network is 20.4% cheaper (doesn't
specify v. ADSL or Cable).

http://www.lightwaveonline.com/articles/2013/04/ftth-drives-opex-savings-reports-ftth-council-study.html?cmpid=EnlDirectApril42013
---
FTTH drives opex savings reports FTTH Council study

April 4, 2013
Lightwave Staff

While Verizon has long touted operational expenditure (opex) savings as a
rationale for its FiOS fiber to the home (FTTH) deployments, smaller
carriers also have seen similar benefits, according to a recent study by
RVA LLC for the Fiber to the Home Council Americas. Small and medium-sized
carriers in North America say they’ve seen an average opex savings of 20.4%
annually, the study reports
---

Other numbers from the report are encouraging too: in North America, 22.7
million homes with access to FTTH (+17%), 9.7 million subscribers (+20%),
44.8% take-up rate.

===

Turning the numbers around, *if* Turnbull's cheaper to build NBN is 20%
more expensive to operate than FTTH,
then how many years does it take to wipe out the installation cost savings?

    John