[LINK] NBN Wireless?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 14:53:00 AEDT 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Paul Brooks <pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au>wrote:

> The NBNCo GPON plans are settling to a ratio of around 4:1 or better - the
> 100/40 plan
> is close to the 2:1 ratio that GPON technology natively provides.

Paul,

That´s great to hear, that at least someone thought about the
downstream-upstream ratio.

2:1 is almost OK. With FTTH speeds, that means one usually has a decent
upstream. 4:1 still has a lot of room for improvement.

> Theres no real reason why they couldn't introduce a symmetric 50/50 plan
> for example, provided enough people take up the 25/5 or worse ratio plans
> to leave capacity in the upstream direction.

My understanding has always been that ISPs get symmetric pipes themselves,
and that by providing a totally awful downstream-upstream ratio, they leave
a lot of the upstream unused, that they can then fill up with hosting,
co-location (dubbed ´housing´ down here) services, for which they charge an
arm and a leg. So in a sense, giving residential customers a decent
upstream goes againt the sales of its hosting and co-location services (if
any), which is the cream of their business.

But, of course, that´s just an evil theory of mine. ;)

Thanks again for the data on the NBN upstream ratio...
FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell