[LINK] sigh

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Feb 12 10:54:35 AEDT 2013

At 10:43 AM 12/02/2013, Jim Birch wrote:
>The object of the government (to the extent that it supports the collective
>interests of it's voters) would be to minimise this activity as far as
>possible.

Where does GST fit in this discussion? Let's shift back to computers.
I don't know if there are import duties any more if ever on computer
gear. Let's assume any duty was dropped (talking commercial imports
here, not personal via customs at the border for >$1000). If an item
costs $700 here that is sold for $400 in the US, the first gets the
treasury $70, the latter only $40 should it sell here at the US
price. That's quite a difference!

Is there any incentive for the govt to really tackle this price difference?

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/