[LINK] A Coalition NBN

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 12 21:44:45 AEDT 2013

Kim writes,

> AFR article behind a paywall for me.

For me also. That's why there's one paragraph .. the same as for you.

Rather have sex with Nicki Minaj :( than pay The Australian etc idiots.

But, if we do go the coalition, this sure seems better than FTTN anyway ..

> Turnbull recently said the Coalition would honour existing NBN contracts
> .. and suggested it might introduce a plan where users could pay to have
> fibre extended to their premises.

Cheers

On 2013/Mar/12, at
> 5:17 PM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> "NBN can win
pri> vate funds: report"

> Major private infrastructure
inv> estors such as the Future Fund,
> AustralianSuper and
On> tario Teachers Pension Plan could be attracted to

inve> st in a revamped national broadband network in the first
> term of a
> Coalition government, research claims..
>
>>  <http://www.afr.com/p/national/nbn_can_win_private_funds>
_report_hEmb83TxLw
> QxZnpGiaZ67N> PUBLISHED: 16 hours
AG> O | UPDATE: 3 hours 47 MINUTES AGO
>
> --
>
> "What
is>  the future for the NBN under the Coalition?"

> "As
th> e Coalition reportedly prepares to release details of
its>
> alternative National Broadband Network plan, what is
> at stake for the
> network if Labor loses the
election?">

> By Stephanie McDonald (Computerworld) 12 March,
201> 3 14:00

<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/456056> /what_future_nbn_under_coal

ition_/?fp=4&fpid=78268965>>

> NBN Co has a 10-year plan for Australia‚s
high> -speed broadband future,
> but a change in government
af> ter September‚s federal election ˆ with the
> latest
> Newspoll showing the Coalition with a lead of 52 per
cent>  to
> Labor‚s 48 per cent on a two-party preferred
bas> is ˆ has created
> uncertainty about the project‚s
fu> ture.

> Shadow broadband minister Malcolm Turnbull
has>  made it clear he plans to
> do things differently with
> the National Broadband Network (NBN), which is

Austral> ia‚s largest ever public infrastructure project.

N> BN Co has also thrown the doors open to a potential
chang> e in the roll
> out of the network, with NBN Co CEO
Mike>  Quigley recently calling for a
> study from the
Communi> cations Alliance to decide what is the best

technology>  to use to roll it out.

> [ Receive up-to-the-minute
n> ews on telcos in Computerworld's Telecoms
> newsletter
]>

> However, little is know about the Coalition's NBN
p> olicy other than it
> would employ fibre-to-the-node
(FT> TN) for large parts of the network,
> rolling out fibre
> to cabinets in the street and using copper for Å’last
>
> mile‚ connection from the cabinet to premises.
>

The>  shadow minister has said that fibre-to-the-home (FTTH)
w> ould still be
> rolled out to new housing estates
(green> fields developments).

> This compares to the Federal
G> overnment's roll out of the NBN utilising
> FTTH, which
> delivers fibre to the doorstop of premises, for 93 per
ce> nt
> of Australia.
>
> Turnbull has also said he would
> retain Telstra and Optus‚ HFC networks,
> which are
ba> sed on a combination of copper and optical fibre, in
orde> r to
> remove „barriers to competition‰ with the
NBN> .
>
> If the Coalition wins the election it won‚t be
t> he first time an incoming
> government has been tasked
w> ith completing an already in-progress
> infrastructure
p> roject, and Nick Economou, senior lecturer in politics
>>  and social inquiry at Monash University, said there may
> be limits to how
> much a new government could change
th> e direction of the NBN.

> One example is the
construct> ion of a desalination plant in Victoria,
> which was
ann> ounced by John Brumby‚s Labor government in late 2007
a> nd
> includes a 30-year contract with the AquaSure
conso> rtium.

> The Liberal Party's Ted Baillieu became
premi> er in Victoria at the end of
> 2010 and said the
Liberal>  government was stuck „with a very expensive
> white
e> lephant‰ because it would have cost too much to
extrica> te itself
> from the project‚s contracts.
>
> „The
> opposition went bananas over [the desalination plant]
and>  pilloried
> it every waking moment of their existence.
> But upon coming to government,
> when confronted with
th> e cost of extracting itself from all those
> contracts,
> it said Œno, no, we‚re more or less tied in‚,‰
Eco> nomou said.
>
> He expects the same will happen with
the>  NBN if the Coalition wins the
> election.
>
> „I
wou> ldn‚t be at all surprised if there were only minor
alte> rations to
> the direction of NBN policy after the
elect> ion [under the Coalition],‰ he
> said.
>
> However,
> independent MP Rob Oakeshott has said it is still
possibl> e for
> the NBN plan to be changed, but „the worst
thi> ng that could happen now is
> a complete change of
direc> tion‰.

> NBN Co‚s future under the Coalition
>

> Economou said it is possible that Turnbull might
tr> y to dismantle NBN Co
> and create a new organisation
in>  its place.

> The shadow minister has been a staunch
> critic of the NBN wholesaler,
> blaming the company for
> not having a „transparent approach to

information‰>  and making it difficult for the Coalition to carry out
a>
> costed analysis of its alternative NBN plan.

„> It‚s a statutory authority,‰ Economou said. „Now
of>  course statutory
> authorities have a certain degree
of>  autonomy from ministers, so what
> presumably the
Coali> tion government will do is they will go back to the

en> abling legislation, redraft it, alter its charter of
oper> ation and I
> dare say it will then move to get rid of
w> hoever‚s running it at the
> moment.‰
>
> In
order>  to replace NBN Co, a Coalition government would need to
> pass new
> legislation.
>
> „If the Coalition did
no> t control the Senate, this could prove to be

tricky,â€> ° Economou said.

> What will a Coalition NBN look
> like?
>

> In 2010 the Coalition said it would
demolis> h the NBN. Since then, the
> Coalition has changed its
t> ack, indicating it won‚t demolish the network
> but
ro> ll it out faster and cheaper.

> Turnbull recently
stat> ed the Coalition would honour existing NBN
> contracts,
> which include the $11 billion Telstra contract and the
$8> 00
> million Optus agreement and suggested it might
intr> oduce a plan where
> users could pay to have fibre
exten> ded to their premises.

> However, rolling out FTTN
ins> tead of FTTH would require altering existing

contracts> , something which Telstra‚s CEO, David Thodey, told
the>
> Australian is out of the question if the
contract‚s>  dollar figure is
> changed.
>
> While speeds up to
100> Mbps are achievable on the FTTH NBN, Turnbull has

said>  most people would be able to achieve speeds of 50Mbps
on>  a FTTN-
> based network, while those farthest away from
> the node will experience
> speeds of 25Mbps and a third
> of people will achieve speeds of 80Mbps.
>
> This
assum> ption is based on the experience in the UK, Turnbull has
> said,
> and he has refused to confirm what speeds
Austra> lian consumers would be
> able to access under the
Coali> tion‚s NBN.

> Turnbull also has refused to provide
f> igures on how much sooner or
> cheaper the Coalition
wou> ld be able to roll out the NBN, telling ABC
> Radio‚s
> AM program it is unable to produce a costed analysis of
i> ts NBN
> plan as it is unaware of the „extent to
which>  [NBN Co] have made
> commitments‰.
>
> Regardless
of>  what road the Coalition takes, Economou said it will
hav> e
> several challenges ahead.
>
> „On one hand there
> will be the principles that they set out when in

oppos> ition about the need to find a more cost-effective way
of>  doing
> things,‰ he said.
>
> „On the other hand
> I think they‚ll be under enormous pressure from rural
> > constituents, who are usually quite strong supporters
o> f the Coalition,
> to go ahead with the aspects of the
b> roadband rollout.‰

> Australia needs a ubiquitous
NB> N: former ACCAN chairman
>

> Michael Fraser,
director>  ˆ Communications Law Centre at UTS and former

chairm> an of ACCAN, believes in order for Australia to achieve
i> ts full
> potential in a global digital economy the
coun> try needs to roll out
> ubiquitous high-speed
broadband.>

> „I think that the approach that the government
i> s taking is a visionary
> approach. It is a Å’build it
a> nd they will come‚ sort of approach, but I
> think it
> has an important element to recommend it,‰ he said.
>

> [ Receive up-to-the-minute news on telcos in
Computerw> orld's Telecoms
> newsletter ]
>
> Under the current
La> bor plan, most Australians will potentially have

acces> s to 100Mbps.

> This type of ubiquitous high-speed
bro> adband network will allow other
> services to be rolled
> out off the back of it, such as education,
> healthcare
> and social services, Fraser said.
>
> „Whether you
ag> ree with [Labor‚s] vision or not depends on your view
> > about whether those services will indeed develop, that
> if you build such
> a physical infrastructure, new
busin> esses, new social services [and]
> community services
wi> ll populate the network,‰ he said.

> „I think
the> re‚s a great capacity to build those kinds of services
> once
> you have the infrastructure in place.‰
>

Fra> ser called the Coalition‚s approach an incremental one
> and doesn‚t
> believe it will deliver the same
opportu> nities as Labor‚s FTTH plan ˆ in
> order to provide
n> ational healthcare services or education, everybody

ne> eds to have access to the same infrastructure. If they
do> n‚t, changes
> would take longer to penetrate
througho> ut a community and the rest of the
> country, he said.
> >
> Fraser pointed to the example of Apple‚s approach
> to rolling out new
> products.
>
> „If they had
gone>  out into the market and said ∑ Œdo you need an
iPod?â> €š
> or Œdo you need an iPad?‚, not many consumers
wo> uld have said that they
> needed it, but [Apple] had
the>  courage to build these new technologies,‰
> he said.
>

> „So sometimes you have to make a strategic
step-c> hange and use
> technologies in imaginative new ways
and>  I think the NBN is an example of
> that ∑ An
incremen> tal approach doesn‚t achieve that network effect.‰

> However, Fraser conceded it will be some time until
th> is kind of
> creativity emerges from the NBN and it
wonâ> €št be until the rollout reaches
> 30 to 40 per cent
tha> t such a transformation will occur.

> Election
201> 3

> Despite being one of the most highly contested
> topics in the tech
> industry, Economou said the NBN
wil> l not play a major role in the broader
> public debate
d> uring the federal election.

> Instead, it is likely
to>  be overshadowed by other issues, such as the
> mining
t> ax, the carbon tax and apparent leadership problems in
th> e Labor
> party, he said.
>
> And despite the
Coalitio> n leading by just 4 per cent in the recent poll,

Econo> mou believes there will be a clear winner come
September.>

> „I don‚t think [the NBN] will [be a big
electio> n issue] because I think
> the next federal election
wil> l be a landslide defeat of the government
> and a whole
> range of policy issues will be pushed aside because it
wi> ll
> really be about the competence of the
government,â€> ° he said.

> „I think [Labor will] be defeated