[LINK] O my - wiggle word heaven and garbage data

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Fri Feb 21 12:14:59 AEDT 2014

On 21/02/2014 10:33 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> The Communications Department has released a My Broadband website
> that purports to show what broadband is available at the address
> level. From the article:
> http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/government-it/broadband-availability-report-released-20140220-hvd6v.html

It's just as well they have wiggle (I'd call them weasel) words.

I'm in the part of Beacon Hill, (Northern Beaches, NSW), that's in next
electorate to the PM's
The Broadband profile for my area says:
Overall Fixed Broadband Quality            C
Fibre to the premises (FTTP) quality  >  Not available
Hybrid fibre-coaxial (HFC) quality  >       B
Fibre to the node (FTTN) quality  >         Not available
Fixed wireless quality  >                           Not available
ADSL quality                                              D
The estimated median ADSL speed        6.04 Mbps.
(Using Speedtest.net I get 3.17 Mbps, less than half the average.)

The weasel words are:
"The estimated median peak ADSL speed for your local area is based upon
the modelled speed for each house in your area with access to ADSL
services. Not every house in your area will experience this speed and
your actual ADSL speed will probably be higher or lower than the median
speed."

"your actual ADSL speed will probably be higher or lower" just about
covers it.

So, the NBN isn't (and won't be available Real Soon Now), and my
existing ADSL is crap.

That's nice to know.

--

Regards