[LINK] Okay for PM to Use Non-Government Internet Services

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au
Sat Oct 10 12:36:52 AEDT 2015

Scott,

As far as I am aware (which is prior to IRAP) the ASD did not require
any controls in relation to e-mail sent to the Internet from
http://www.asd.gov.au/infosec/irap/asd_certified_gateways.htm

So the privacy controls provided by @gmail, etc for e-mail sent across
the Internet are actually much greater than those specified by the ASD
at this time e.g. DKIM, SPF, etc.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au> wrote:
> *"If you're using a commercial email service that's being carried through
> the telecommunications network, it will be covered by all of the same rules
> that apply to a Government-based service."*
>
> Public email systems have no requirement to be encrypted.  Nor any
> requirements for strong passwords, or any form of 2 factor auth. Nor any
> auditing requirements.
>
> Are you suggesting that the official government servers have none of those
> things as requirements either?
>
> Please, please tell me you were mis-quoted, because that statement holds
> absolutely no water...
>
>   Scott
>

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Tom Worthington <tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
>> wrote:
>
>> I told ABC TV that it was okay for the Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull,
>> to use non-government telecommunications services:
>>
>> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-09/malcolm-turnbull-continues-to-use-non-government-email-service/6839684
>>

>> --
>> Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
>> The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/
>> PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au
>> Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards
>> Legislation
>>
>> Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
>> Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/

Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact