[LINK] MyHealthRecord opt-out Site

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Apr 4 15:58:16 AEST 2016

On 4/04/2016 3:40 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-04-04 at 14:49 +1000, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>> However, the
>> http://www2.medicareaustralia.gov.au/pext/optoutextweb/optout.xhtml
>> link still works.
> Not for me. Looks fixed - the https version works, the http version
> returns an error (would be nicer if it redrected, but even so).
>
>> The Medicare CIO should be ashamed of running a department with such
>> amateurish development practices.
> You don't know that. Mistakes can happen in the best-run shop. What
> counts is how they are dealt with.
>
> If there's an issue here it is that this mistake shows how porous any
> system, however well-run, can be. It may only take one such mistake to
> blow the entire health record system wide open. They have to be perfect
> all the time, and that is not possible.

IMHO, there was more than one mistake.

The first that the link was http://, not https://

The second was that the http:// link worked.

Yes, mistakes often happen, which is why processes need to be put in
place to pick them up before they become embarrassing.
Which is the third mistake. The processes didn't work, or are not in place.

And if it only takes one mistake to blow the entire health record system
(and I think there's far more than one) then the risk isn't worth the
rather dubious benefits.

And when there are no benefits i.e. to people don't need a health record
or there are negative benefits i.e there is sensitive data in a
patient's record that even other health professionals shouldn't see
(read this from the RANZCP
https://myhealthrecord.gov.au/internet/mhr/publishing.nsf/Content/consultation-submissions/$FILE/079%20-%20RANZCP.PDF
)
then the risk absolutely isn't worth it.

which is what I think you are saying here:

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn