[LINK] NBN questions - HFC & Wireless

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Wed Dec 7 11:32:49 AEDT 2016

On 07/12/2016 09:47, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> So, the provider had delivered a new integrated 4G dongle/router device. The new router had a VOIP, Ethernet and WiFi port, but the customer was told the VOIP did not work.
>
> Believing the VoIP service wouldn't work with the new router, the customer had signed up to a land line service from a Telstra spin off, [...]
>
> However, it transpired that all they needed to do was plug their VOIP box into the Ethernet Port. The VOIP box had two phone ports (one seemed more reliable than the other).

When the provider said the VoIP didn't work they probably meant no service was set up, but that should be no more than a 'phone call.  However I'm confused about what hardware is in place; I gather a 4G dongle is plugged into a USB interface on a router, but are the two VoIP ports on the router or on a separate box?

If one VoIP port works better than the other it may be because its codec is configured more appropriately.

> So, it appears the WiMax service is being shut down in the city or is it being sold to the NBN?

I thought LTE technology had been selected for "4G" instead of WiMAX so maybe the network is being rationalised, however I've asked a Very Reliable Source for clarification.

David L.