[LINK] VoIP and internet services

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Apr 28 10:12:40 AEST 2019

On 27/4/19 10:41 am, David wrote:

> ... Was the ISP's phone a POTS service ...

It was an analog phone on CAT 6 cable to the fiber optic node, about 20m
away.

>... $20 per month _providing_ it's bundled with internet access.

You can get a mobile phone service for $10 a month, or less.

> ... pre-configured VoIP box of some sort?

For VoIP, I bought a box, and configured myself, which was a nightmare.

> ... VoIP also has the advantage it can be connected to the house ...

Some of the fixed wireless desk phones provide a RJ11 socket to connect
analog phones. Some have a cordless handset, and allow you to add extra
cordless handsets. There are also Cellular Wired Phone Adapters, which
don't have a built in handset.

But this is getting a bit complicated. I think of a home phone as
something you have in a corner to use very occasionally, like this:

	"Craven flees for a bunker - a disused nuclear weapons fire control
site. Now feeling the effects of the radiation, and with the IIF forces
flooding the bunker with gas, Craven desperately seeks out a working
telephone - the only one he can find dials directly to a disused
basement at 10 Downing Street. A bemused security guard answers the call
as Craven screams "Get me Pendelton!".

 From "Edge of Darkness", Episode 5, BBC TV, 1985
http://genehuntsguidetodvds.blogspot.com/2010/05/edge-of-darkness-vs-edge-of-darkness.html

;-)

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington