[LINK] Video streaming

David Lochrin dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au
Tue Jan 5 23:26:36 AEDT 2021

Hi David,

On 2021-01-03 10:37, you wrote:

> Last night, I tried to watch the Doctor Who New Year Special on ABC iview using Google Chrome. A PG classification warning played, then nothing. The situation with Pale Moon is similar. Switching to Brave, I got a message about Google Widevine.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widevine
> At that point, I gave up.
>
> If/when someone cracks it, I'll probably download a torrent of the program. I doubt that's the effect they're hoping for.

I believe Widevine is a DRM package owned by Google which is now integrated into Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome but probably not into less mainstream browsers, however a plugin may be available.

In Firefox the configuration variable  "Play DRM-controlled content"  must  to ticked, and I guess that enables all installed DRM plugins (there are others).  Widevine is also listed under Tools > Add-ons, where it can be explicitly disabled if you have alternatives, but I can't find an "always ask" option.  And finally, there's a useful article with more explanations & options at https://privacysavvy.com/security/safe-browsing/firefox-privacy-security-ultimate-guide/

But this is the bit that gets on my pulse.....

It seems trackers such as EFF's Privacy Badger must be disabled when accessing some websites having _no_ streaming or DRM content all.  This probably explains why the Badger must be disabled in order to display useful information from https://covid19data.com.au and it lists these trackers:
	www.google-analytics.com
	e.infogram.com
	www.paypal.com
	www.paypalobjects.com
	apps.wix.com
	frog.wix.com

Apparently <wix.com> is a cloud company which hosts <covid19data.com.au> however the website won't work until all six are enabled, so I presume their presence generates tracking income for Wix.

I think it's sad to see such companies infesting what would otherwise be an extremely useful source of open pandemic data important to public health.

However ABC & SBS have excellent free-to-air news coverage (not news as entertainment) and ABC Radio is a national treasure IMO, but otherswise It's time to start reading books again folks!  Remember them?

Best wishes to all Linkers for 2021!
David Lochrin